This is a catalog of all the plastic I’ve been recycling or throwing out.
February 24th, 2017
- Little sock connector things
- Container Swiffer wet pads come in
- Bought a frozen Starbucks breakfast sandwich, the wrapper from that
- Tube produce bag for apples
- After using the above produce bag, I bought reusable polyester
February 25th, 2017
- Today I didn’t use much plastic
February 28th, 2017
- Packaging from four-pack of bratwurst
March 1st, 2017
- Packaging from loaf of bread
March 2nd, 2017
- Yogurt container (large)
- Yogurt container (small)
March 3rd, 2017 (cleaning room)
- Trader Joe’s granola bar wrapper
- five accumulated water bottles from my bedroom
- Nature Valley granola bar wrapper (2)
- Mouthwash bottle
- Ibuprofen bottle
- Antacid bottle
- More sock packaging ties
- Twist tie
March 14th, 2017
- At this point I’m starting to notice how easily I’ve been defeated by this task. (Note the massive gap between the last listing and this one!) I don’t know if it’s because I’m forgetful about cataloging this plastic or if it’s that I use so much plastic I’ve become numb to its documentation. I’m sure there is a little bit of both here.
- Is this a fools errand? I’m going to try to do better, both with my usage and with the documentation.
- From memory March 4th-13th:
- 2 mid-sized Essentia water bottles
- 2 wrappers from 2 french bread pizzas
- pull tab seal from almond milk carton
- small sandwich plate from lecture
- plastic silverware from takeout place
- lid from to-go coffee (4?)
- all of this above stuff times 2 because there is much I’m likely forgetting
March 23rd, 2017
- So, I’ve found out that I’m going to be moving soon, which means the cleaning of my bedroom is in full swing [Insert excuses about the last week]
- This means that I am making room in old cardboard boxes, so that I can downsize and be economical with how much stuff (read: weight) I really have to shift from the old space to the new
- The below is a list of mostly newer plastic items along with a few odds and ends that could have accumulated between the years 2014 and 2018
- 1 QT Essentia bottle
- ShopRite Extra Strength Antacid bottle (held 96 chewable tablets
- 16 OZ Extra Crunchy Jif Peanut Butter
- 1 L CVS Antiseptic Mouthwash
- 16 fl. oz Liquiteria Cold Pressed Juice (All Greens)
- 100 “capsule-shaped tablets” 200 mg ibuprofen bottle
- 3 misc sock packagings
- a small palmful of sock ties
- one twist tie
- Obviously weights and container sizes are not reflective of the plastic itself, but, rather, the weight of the contents included with the packaging. This shift to noting the dimensions of each object is a path to eventually weighing the plastic itself, so that I can uncover daily, monthly, and yearly totals.
- Also, the nature of size, weight, and density of certain objects is fascinating and I’m looking for patterns in those things.
March 26th, 2017
- Colored pencil packaging
- tea candle shell
- coffee shop coffee lid (2)
- plastic straw and cup and lid from another coffee
- Misc. mail envelopes (transparent parts) (5)
- 2 Dasani water bottles
- Speedball linoleum cutter packaging
- Sock connectors (3)
- hemp protein container
January 16th, 2018
Wow. I really let this go. I’ll say in brief that it has been interesting reading some of these notes and seeing patterns, namely sock connectors, coffee lids, and water bottles.
I want to insert an infinity symbol above but I don’t know how.
One big shift from back in March is that I now regularly shop with a reusable shopping bag and my backpack. I’ve also decided to purchase some cheap, drawstring produce bags. Unfortunately I don’t use them as much as I should because they make me feel awkward at checkout. But I will resist that brief embarrassment and use them more now that I’m taking account of my actions again. I currently have a fridge full of those long plastic bags from buying apples and green beans. So many of them.
I know one person can change the world. Everything you do changes the world. Don’t get discouraged. Even if its a small change, your actions matter.